Saturday, January 16, 2010

January 16 - Tell a fond memory of your grandpa.

My grandpa Pettit was very fond of horses. He had several when he was growing up and so he had the gear to go on a horse. I, too, am very fond of horses. When I was young, and I would go over to visit my Grandparents, I would look through the many horse magazines that he would get. He always gave me the old ones so that I could cut out my favorite pictures of the horses. Each time I would go and visit, I would go out to his garage and gaze at the saddle hanging on the wall. I know that I asked him many times if I could have that saddle. I knew that it would be the closest I would ever get to owning a horse. After I got married, on my 24th birthday, I got a great surprise! My grandpa Pettit gave me one of his prize possessions....he gave me his saddle that I dreamed of having for many years. I was so excited! My mom made me a sawhorse to put the saddle on. I have sat on that saddle/sawhorse many times dreaming of my horse being under it. I still dream of having a horse some day, and with my saddle I am one step closer!

My grandpa Johnson worked for P.I.E. trucking company. I used to go to work with him and look at all the trucks that he had there. He used to have little trucks in his office and I would love play with them. I didn't go that often, but loved when he would take me. It made me feel special. I obviously wasn't a girly girl. I was a true "tomboy"! My grandma Johnson didn't like that about me, but what can I say...I loved doing things that my brothers did. So going to work with my grandpa was fun to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment